Friday, December 7, 2012

When a movie scene becomes reality...

Are you familiar with Anne of Green Gables?
Do you remember Matthew Cuthbert going to Lawson's Mercantile not exactly with the intention to buy 20 pounds of brown sugar and a rake? You might need a little refreshment...

Alice Lawson: Well, Mr. Cuthbert, what can I do for you today?
Matthew: Well, now, uh... I'd like, uh... Have you got any, uh... Do you have any garden rakes?
Alice Lawson: Now, we don't carry garden rakes in the store in December, but I'll check upstairs. We may have one or two in storage. [leaves; returns] The very last one.
Matthew: Oh, that's nice.
Alice Lawson: Will there be anything else, Mr. Cuthbert?
Matthew: Well, since you suggested, uh... I might want to look at some hayseed.
Alice Lawson: Oh, we don't carry hayseed till spring, Mr. Cuthbert.
Matthew: Oh, certainly. Of course.
Alice Lawson: That'll be 75 cents for the rake, Mr. Cuthbert.
Matthew: Uh, while I'm here, uh... I might want to look at, uh... If it wouldn't be too much trouble, uh...
Alice Lawson: Yes...
Matthew: Sugar.
Alice Lawson: Sugar?
Matthew: Some sugar.
Alice Lawson: Oh, white or brown?
Matthew: Well, uh... What would you say?
Alice Lawson: Well, we have some nice brown sugar in stock, Mr. Cuthbert. How much would you like?
Matthew: Well... Would twenty pounds be enough?
Alice Lawson: Yes, I'm sure twenty pounds would be enough. That'll be $1.
Matthew: [whispering] I need a dress. With puffed sleeves.
Alice Lawson: Puffed sleeves?
Matthew: For Anne.
Alice Lawson: For land's sake, Mr. Cuthbert, why didn't you say so in the first place? Now, you just come with me to the window.

So I was just asking, because the other day when I was on my way home from work, a middle aged woman got on the tram and sat across me. She had her hands full...
She carried a 20 pounds-bag of grass seed and a rake. I instantly remembered and I couldn't help but laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment