Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sideshows

As I was looking trough the facebook pictures of one of my old friends (we know each other since elementary school) I saw that her career takes wing. I know she's played minor parts in musicals and is part of the choir / ensemble but now I saw pictures of her her Dad took at the bows.
My little friend is playing my favorite part of The Phantom of the Opera - that is the role of Meg Giry, Christine Daaé's best friend, a ballet dancer.


So I asked her to get me a ticket. She asked me when I wanted to come.. thanks for the crew, the cast is available on the internet so I chose the perfect one! I'll see her January 22nd.

Mom isn't a musical freak as big as I am so we decided to watch the movie version so she'd know, which character Meg is.

But as we were watching the movie and Meg's Mom, Mme Giry had her flashbacks... the scene of the travelling fair / carnival sideshow reminded me of The Butterfly Circus.


I saw this short story about a year ago, but Mom didn't so ... you already know what happened! :)
As we were watching I realized, there wasn't a time I didn't cry / sob during the film.
How sad and humiliating it is to be different. I mean it's great to be unique, but when you are shown only to be laughed at... And these people - or so called freaks - aren't even funny...


The Story:
At the height of the Great Depression, the showman (Eduardo Verastegui) of a renowned circus leads his troupe through the devastated American landscape, lifting the spirits of audiences along the way. During their travels they discover Will (Nick Vujicic), a man without limbs at a carnival sideshow, but after an intriguing encounter with the showman he becomes driven to hope against everything he has ever believed.


Don't care if you are different!
Don't care what others say about you!
Important is what God thinks of you! And HE loves you!
If you are suffering, know your suffering has a purpose - even if you don't know what it is!
Trust God, He doesn't make mistakes!
Remember this "...but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him." (John 9:3) or what Mendez - the showman from the Butterfly Circus said to Will: "The greater the trial the more glorious the triumph." 

No comments:

Post a Comment