Tuesday, November 1, 2011

All Saint’s Day and the Day of the Dead (All Souls' Day)

All Saints' Day is celebrated on November 1 in honor of all the saints, known and unknown. It is a national holiday in our country. 
I read it in my book mentioned yesterday that at night from November 1 to 2 the dead are coming back to celebrate a mess in the church, but the living mustn’t see them. If they do… When somebody is in the church at that night, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The dead rip off his clothes and kill him! – What a huge lie people believe in my country! 
The tradition on these two days is to visit the graves of deceased relatives and to decorate them with flowers / wreaths and candles. It's a special feeling being late afternoon in a cemetery and it can be really beautiful...



Well on November 2 candles are lit in the homes too for the dead relatives. When I was younger I loved those evenings because you should light a candle for each one. If you have many dead relatives, you will have a large amount of candles burning. And I love candles! But I don’t like the idea beyond. Growing up in a Catholic church doesn’t help much if you want to understand their teachings. I never had a Catechism in my hand at that time. One of my last courses at WOL was Roman Catholicism. Believe me what I learnt there was quite familiar and still so new! I knew they believe in purgatory (where there’s suffering but then they get to heaven) and if you pray for them you can relieve their suffering and shorten the time they need to spend there. But do you know what the role of a candle is? I didn’t. These candles are called prayer or votive candles which represents the prayer. Imagine lightning a candle to pray in your behalf! 

I thought I was upset because of Halloween… until I “got to know” what my people believe. I wanted to protect children from the lies and demonic celebrations of the Western civilization but they need to be protected from them of their own culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment