Thursday, October 13, 2011

1 John 2:15-17

15Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16For everything in the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life - comes not from the Father but from the world. 17The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. 
When I was reading today’s passage from 1 John I remembered how I used to love the world. Since I don’t have a job I was thinking of going back into the theater to work. Old memories came into my mind. It could be very very dangerous. But it doesn't have to. 
My colleagues keep asking me when I’m going back. My name is still on my locker. And I have the key to it. It would be easy to get back there.
But what would it help when I would work there? It would mean fun but I don't want to happen it again. I want to choose Jesus. Every time. Would be there more disadvantages than advantages? I would have at least a little pocket money. I wouldn’t be “grounded” in the apartment and could go out in the evenings. But I know my old self and I know that it would be hard to get up early enough in the next morning to have time to arrange everything I need to do during the day before leaving for work. 
I have a task, a kind of project to do right now. Could I concentrate on my studies, could I help my parents or spend time with them? I want to choose Jesus, not the world, not Satan’s realm. It’s so much worthy to spend time with God, to study His Word, to spend time with family and friends from my congregation. 
(You can read more about my struggles with the “world” here.)  

And yet Jesus Himself sent us out into the world. It's possible to live there but not for it, isn't it? I just have to set my priorities and stick to them. I could do it. 
The first year of Bible school was horrible. Every time I went home to visit I almost immediately headed into the theater... to see performances, to chat with colleagues, to meet "stage-people" I keep in touch with... The less I felt God wanted me in school the more time I spent in my "phantasy-world". The more time I spent there the further I got from God... until the end of March when God spoke to me during Matthew-class.
In my second year - when my heart was on its proper place, I still used to visit my old workplace, but not that often. And I couldn't afford to go home as often as in the previous year. I didn't run into the theater every time I went home, only couple of times. I didn't see any performances but the bows occasionally (I always loved to clap). And I felt and still feel that I'm not that big fan any more I used to be.
I know it might be tough but not impossible. My life has changed... I've changed.

Please pray for me that I can follow God's guidance! For Him, I wouldn't do it, but with Him I could do it.. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment