Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's all about Him

It's Pentecost Sunday today. It was a long time ago when I went to my home church for the last time, but today, finally, I could go. I didn't know that the service would start a half an hour earlier, but I wasn't the only one. It seems that more people come to my church who cannot come every Sunday (like me) or don't belong to the congregation and that's why they didn't know about the upcoming events. Anyway... we had a baptismal service in the morning. This explains why we started earlier.
There were four young people - two young ladies and two men wearing white in front of our new baptismal basin. I don't really know what I missed. I heard the preaching, their testimonies, I saw them "dying and resurrecting with Christ"... it was really wonderful. And the best thing was that I knew all of them! I missed almost two years of church life because of school and now I felt as I would have been there during the whole time! I was so thankful to God that He let me be there today! I relived the day of my baptism, how nervous I was... I even can clearly remember what I said. I remembered how it felt like being there, going into the water, holding my pastor's hand, taking the breath before diving into the water...

"They are for you, who through faith are kept safe by God's power for the salvation which is ready to be revealed at the end of time." (1 Pt 1,5)

While the newest members of our church were busy with changing some of my youth group performed a little skit. They acted the story of John 21 when Jesus and Peter are talking about love and even more. Remember the story from verse 15 to 17?

When Jesus and the disciples had finished eating, Jesus spoke to Simon Peter. He asked, "Simon, son of John, do you really love me more than these others do?" 
"Yes, Lord," he answered. "You know that I love you." 
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." 
Again Jesus asked, "Simon, son of John, do you really love me?" 
He answered, "Yes, Lord. You know that I love you." 
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." 
Jesus spoke to him a third time. He asked, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" 
Peter felt bad because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He answered, "Lord, you know all things. You know that I love you." 
Jesus said, "Feed my sheep." 

And they went farther. In the skit there were only "Jesus" and "Peter" and "Peter" wanted "Jesus" to go with him, to show the others that "Jesus" was there. "Peter" told "Jesus" about the day when Mary Magdalene told the apostles about the resurrection. (Here he switched to the Gospel according to Mark.) Mary met an angel, who said "Go! Tell his disciples and Peter, 'He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him. It will be just as he told you.'" (16:7)
And "Jesus" kept asking what the angel said until "Peter" finally realized that the angel said "disciples and Peter". He understood that he denied Jesus three times.. he is a sinner who deserves death and deserves no forgiveness. But "Jesus" told him about what He accomplished on the cross and assured "Peter" that this act wasn't about the people, but about Him! He also told "Peter" his sins - also the denials were forgiven... and as "Peter" wasn't able to understand how it could happen, "Jesus" answered him with one word: GRACE.

They said it well... it's all about HIM. We don't deserve His grace, can't understand it, just accept it. It's a wonderful gift from our wonderful God to every sinner. How wonderful, how amazing is that! (Perhaps I don't have to mention that they sang "Amazing Grace" at the end of the skit.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Good to be here.
    Thanks for sharing
    keep writing and
    keep inform
    best regards

    ReplyDelete