Sunday, November 28, 2010

Creationsim vs Evolution

I was looking forward to have the course called Creationism. I think it was about two years ago, when I saw some sequences from a documentary on National Geographic Channel. These were about Darwin’s voyage to the Galápagos Islands.
We didn’t really emphasize evolution in high school. I remember our teacher mentioning the “big bang” and also that life has grown up from a one-celled-organism living in the ocean, that humans were more developed monkeys, but I think that my teacher didn't believe that. Although we weren’t taught about the Christian worldview, we learned about evolution like other theories. We could have our own convictions. I never believed in evolution for a moment and couldn’t imagine how monkeys and humans could live together. 
When I saw that documentary I was shocked. The scenes showed the young Darwin studying the many kinds of finches. Most of them can be distinguished only by the size and shape of their beaks. The various shapes evolved depending on access to different food sources. The crux of Darwin’s theory was natural selection, which basically means that only that specimen that could better adapt the local environment can subsist; in other words the fittest survive. 
Is this theory evolution or is it “just” mutation? I could believe this kind of transformation, but I didn’t know how to reconcile my belief with this new recognition of mine. Have I really become an evolutionist? But I do believe that God created the Earth and everything living on the land and in the water…

 Then I saw The Mysterious Islands. (We watched it in class and had to write a critique on it.) I was happy to hear, that natural selection and evolution aren’t the same concepts. And what is more they are directly opposite. It’s one thing to adapt to the environment, and it’s another to change from one kind into another. If evolution would be true we also should see examples animals like a half dog – half cat, but we can’t find an animal in between. One of the men reminded me on God’s sovereignty. God could easily create animals with the ability to adapt their environment. 
And what about the age of the Earth? In schools you learn that billions and billions of years before there was a big explosion and the Earth grew up. When archaeologists find something they send the findings to a laboratory to have their age calculated. But is this method really trustworthy? The documentary proved that catastrophe can happen in a hurry. The radiocarbon dating can date for examples lava for millions of years, but we can surely know from historical records when this special volcano broke forth. This means that the Bible is truer than any science.  So is the Earth really that old? Billions and billions years old? I don’t think so. I’d rather say: the Earth is so much younger, not even 6000 years old.    
So my question is the same as the  man's in the crew, "Are these islands a laboratory of evolution or is it the testimony of God’s grace?" After studying His Word and seeing the motion picture, my conclusion was the same as Darwin’s travel companion Admiral Robert Fitzroy who said, “Believe God rather than men!”
I think the message of The Mysterious Islands is sound. Released on the 200th anniversary of Darwin’s birth and the 150th of the publication of his famous On the Origins of the Species – filmed on the very islands that gave evolution its feet – presents the story of Darwin’s worldview. But more than that, it presents a stirring message of the joys of a reasonable faith in God’s inerrant Word. It is faithful to science, to history, and to the Bible. I can recommend to everybody: it doesn’t matter if they are an evolutionist or creationist. It’s worth to see it at least because of the wonderful flora and fauna… and I believe God’s working in the hearts of every person who watches it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment