Monday, September 21, 2009

Being Gina Vitay

The first week is over. 
We were told that a new roommate would come. Yes, she’s here. I met her in the volunteer’s training in the spring and we were serving together in the same two weeks of camp. She and me… are like water and fire or earth and sky, as you like it. This year really won’t be easy, I can tell. But I trust in the Lord, maybe she’ll be my best friend on the campus! Be positive! :-)


We had “Personal Evangelism” this week. I don’t think it’s for me. We went to Budapest on Thursday and Friday to evangelize on the streets. It’s a hard job! The people are rude and you stand there looking like a drowned rat. Your courage lessens, your heart is almost in your boots and you can’t escape. You need to trust again, pray and go to the next person… I think I’m not that open-air-evangelism-person!

With Mariann on the 2nd day of OAE.
With Trisha on Blaha Lujza square.










I had an audition for the sing team and the drama team. I was the second  person who was auditioned for the sing team. I couldn’t think of any song I  wanted to sing so I let the pianist choose a song for me. I sang “My Jesus  My Saviour”. 
Although I don’t know anything about the drama and what “Born Again  For A Living Hope” is about, I really can’t choose. I like to be on stage,  and I like to sing… I think the best thing would be for me if I could act and sing at the same time! :-)
We’ll be told in two weeks what are ministry and work assignment are. I’m curious and really would like to know before I leave… 
I think the English test was rather easy… and hope to get into the advanced group.
But the Bible knowledge test… I thought I knew the stories and a test like this would be much easier for a kid, who went to religion classes since she was 6. I’d never learnt about the dates or historical facts in the view of the Bible, neither did I learn any Greek. I felt like Gina in the novel “Abigail” by the Hungarian novelist Magda Szabó.

With "our" Abigail from the theatre.

A plot summary from imdb.com:
Hungary during World War II. Georgina, spoiled daughter of General Vitay is not delighted when her father takes her to a religious boarding school in a smalltown. She rebels against the strict rules of the school, alienating most of her schoolmates and tries to escape from the school. When her father visits her and learns about this, he decides to tell her why she must stay in the school: he is trying to find a way to get Hungary out of the war before it claims too many lives and he is afraid that his enemies will capture and torture her, thus blackmailing him into betray his cause. Gina agrees to stay in the school, the only place where she is safe. Suddenly she grows up under the weight placed on her shoulders. Life is hard, she often feels she is treated unjustly in the strict school, and even though she makes peace with her schoolmates, often the only “person” to whom she can turn to is a statue nicknamed Abigail in the school's garden; who, according to the legend, helps those who write a message and put it in the vase in her hands. No one in the school knows who's hiding behind the statue, although many students tried to find it out, and at first Gina thinks this is only a childish tradition, but when she gets a message from Abigail, in which "she" reveals to be her father's confidante, she starts to believe, and later, when her whereabouts are revealed to the enemy and her father is captured, only the person behind Abigail can help her...
If you’re interested here’s a scene from the movie shot in 1978 with English subtitles. Here's the first part:  



No comments:

Post a Comment